U. Ruth Charrondiere
Food composition data are essential to shift the food system to a healthier one. The documented uses of food composition databases now cover many specialized fields in nutrition, health, agriculture, trade, food science, environmental sciences and economics. Therefore, sound food composition databases that are both comprehensive and representative of foods available and consumed in the country have become essential basic tools for all these uses.
The ‘FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data’ was published in 2013 and aims to close the existing knowledge gap among those generating, compiling or using food composition data. The course provides a good basic knowledge and understanding of essential issues related to food composition. It is an interactive, learner-centred course organized into 14 lessons, for a total of approximately 10 hours of self-paced learning. The e-learning course offers a wealth of examples, exercises and case studies based on best practices. The course is designed to be primarily used in universities at undergraduate level. The course is available free of charge from the INFOODS website http://www.fao.org/infoods/infoods/training/en/ as an on-line version or as a CD.
Purpose of this training workshop
- To cover the main contents of the ‘FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data’ through lectures and discusions.
- To enhance the use of food composition data in various activities
- A better understanding of the generation, management and usage of food composition data, and their quality requirements
- Options and opportunities to introduce the course into the curricula of universities and other higher education institutes
Who would profit most from the training?
- Other professionals generating, managing and using food composition data
Description of the programme
- Lectures on key issues on food composition
- Exercises to apply knowledge
- Discussion on how to introduce the course into the curricula of universities
The completion of the ‘FAO/INFOODS e-Learning Course on Food Composition Data’ is highly recommended. Website http://www.fao.org/infoods/infoods/training/en/
A special certificate will be provided to those who complete the on-line version by 1 November 2018 and attended the entire training workshop on 10 November 2018. Please take care to complete the e-learning course while being on-line – any off-line completion will not be recorded and therefore the special certificate will not be provided. Others who attend only the entire training workshop on 10 November 2018 without completing the online e-Learning course will be issued only a certificate of attendance.
Seats are limited and will be distributed on first come first serve basis. Please register for the training workshop by writing directly to email@example.com . Please put ‘Application for FAO/INFOODS Training’ into the subject line and attach your complete contact details and the place where you are working, as well as 10 lines of your motivation on why you wish to attend the training and how you will use it afterwards. You will receive confirmation on whether you are accepted for the training workshop by 20 October 2018.